Saturday, January 19, 2013

Interview of Shelby Vick of Planetary Stories

Here's my first interview with Shelby Vick An old writer and present Editor of Planetary Stories.



HOW MANY ARTISTS DO YOU HAVE AND HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THEM?

I have at least half-a-dozen artists that are generous enough to contribute their time and effort. I choose them by, first, locating them on other sites and querying their availability, in part. More often, they are artists Jerry Page knows who he has brought in.

HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A CERTAIN ARTIST FOR A CERTAIN STORY?
If I think their style fits a certain story, I query them to see if they are interested. I give them, usually, a copy of the story.

HOW MANY STORIES DO YOU RECEIVE IN A MONTH AND HOW DO YOU CHOOSE WHICH ONE'S WILL GO UP?

That varies widely; sometimes I receive three or four stories within a few weeks, sometimes only one. I choose them by how well they write, how intereting the story is, and whether they are willing to work on re-writes. There are times when a story has a gem buried within it, but it takes lots of rewriting to polish the gem. I'm not interested in stories from someone who has the attitude that their story is perfect and inviolate.

HOW MANY STORIES HAVE YOU WRITTEN AND IS THERE A PLACE TO GET THEM ALL?
HA!!!!  How many have I written? I've been at it for nearly eighty of my eighty-four years. I've been writing since I first found out how to use a pencil and paper. I even lack the info as to how many have been published! In the far-distant past I had four action paperbacks that I sold, but the publisher went out of business nearly sixty years ago. Also sold five short-short kid's fantasies about the same time, also unavailable.

Since then, I have co-authored a story pubbed on Strange Horizons (also out of business!) some insurance articles for insurance magazines out of business - and dozens of stories for Planetary Stories.

Oh! I also have three ebooks available on Amazon, two straight from PS, one - 'Cat of Many Lives' - which has not been pubbed elsewhere.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE AND REWRITE A STORY?

Hours. Days. Weeks. Months. Even YEARS. My first published book was written back in the pre-word processing days, and had been rewritten at least four times, plus a fifth time at the request of the publisher. Probably worked on it for at least three years.

WHY DO YOU PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO THE MAGAZINES?

For me, it's a way of life! First ish went online January 2005 and issue 27 is due out Feb First. I spend at least six or seven hours each day preparing stories and art for it.

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE WRIERS?

Leigh Brackett. C L Moore. Henry Kuttner. Edmond Hamilton. Fredric Brown. Robert Bloch. Too many more! It's easier to say, 'All the great names from the old Pulp Days'.

More currently, I regard John D MacDonald as my Writing Idol. He started back in the pulps, then skyrocketed to success in the popular market.

No comments: